Monday, October 26, 2009

Monday's news: The blood pool lamp, A scottish castle and Madonna's London pad

Good morning design lovers! I hope you have enjoyed a cultured weekend? Sadly I didn’t make it to the Affordable Art Fair, but I was thrilled to finally catch the Anish Kapoor retrospective at the Royal Academy. I know that posters of the exhibition seem to emblazon every vacant wall at the moment, but I must say that the show lived up to all the hype. Kapoor certainly has quite an imagination – his varied show includes sculptures that suspiciously look like dog poo, a hypnotic set of mirrors and even a red river of wax. It may sound startling, but rest assured this is a must-see exhibition.

So without further ado, it’s time to take a look at the latest design stories that hit the world this weekend.

mydeco’s pick of the top three stories:

1. dornob: Bloody cool

Forgive me if you think this light is gruesome and gory, but I did just go and see Anish Kappor yesterday, so nothing could seem more appropriate! This floating and bleeding lamp may not be for everyone, but why not embrace a bit of gothic chic? It is Halloween at the end of the week after all…

Image credit: dornob

2. The Financial Times: We’d always said we wanted to live in a castle

I can’t say that I’m an avid reader of the FT, but on Saturday morning, with nothing better to read I cautiously leafed through those intimidating pink pages.  And to my utter amazement – I enjoyed it! I even stumbled across an inspiring property supplement. Who says you can’t live in a crumbling castle? Annie and Lachlan Stewart prove that anything is possible as they convert a ruin into a comfortable family home.

Image credit: The FT

3. Brick Work: Madonna’s London playground

As I continue with my house-hunt (this is now the sixth week) I confess to developing an unhealthy interest in the property market. My glazed Monday morning eyes simply lit up when they fell across this amazing Edwardian villa situated on the chi-chi Sheffield Terrace, Kensington W8. It may be a tad above my price range – costing a mere 13, 000 quid a week, but there’s no denying this property’s luxurious features. And guess what? This chic palace was once the home of none other than everyone’s favourite Material Girl, Madonna.

Image credit: Brick Work

The best of the rest:

The Times: Bathroom Tiles- Wet and Wild

The Times: Bojo calls for balconies for all London homes

The Guardian: Time for Tea – Pick of the best tableware

The Independent: Guide to the 50 best gadgets

dornob: Rocking house

Design Week: Insulin injector pen bags top award

Wallpaper: Karl Lagerfeld goes miniature

Sadly that’s all we have time for today, but I look forward to seeing you tomorrow for Tuesday’s instalment. Have a good Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment